White House Continues Gun Control Efforts a Year After Newtown Tragedy

sandy-hook-schoolBy: April Ryan, aprildryan.com | AURN

As the nation pauses remembering the victims of the Newtown shooting a year ago, there is still concern over shootings in school houses across this nation. Just Friday, another shooting in a Colorado area High School left a community concerned with questions of why and how. The gunman died of self inflicted wounds after wounding at least two other students.

In February 2013, Secretary Arne Duncan and Vice President Joe Biden addressed a conference on gun violence at Western Connecticut State University. The conference focused on issues of curbing gun violence in and around school houses across the nation. I asked Secretary Duncan during a West Wing encounter about school gun violence. He said, “Schools are generally the safest place, but, we have to keep on working and it is about the broader community.”

After the Newtown tragedy, one of the worst American school shootings, there were major efforts to get new gun laws passed. That shooting drew original efforts for a ban on assault weapons that ultimately changed to efforts to strengthen background checks especially after finding many of the shooters in recent publicized incidents, mental stability were in question.

The White House is hopeful they can gain passage of some new gun control law by the end of the second term of the Obama administration. LISTEN: 

President Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder visited the Sandy Hook Elementary school after the shooting. The dead included six adult women, 12 girls and eight boys, all shot in 11 minutes. The children were 6 or 7 years old. The President and the Attorney General toured the building and saw where bullets had hit parts of the school and remembered seeing where blood stains were still visible. Sandy Hook no longer stands as it has been demolished after last year’s fatal shooting. The community says the demolition is part of the healing processes.


Speak Your Mind

*